WLAN driver install after login

Ollyolly 19:58 25 Jul 08

My toshiba laptop produced a blue screen quickly followed by a reboot.
After login I now have a black desktop and a 'found new hardware' message asking me to install the driver for the WLAN.
I've tried the Recovery CD that came with the laptop to see if Vista could find it on there but no luck.
I've tried two differetn system resore points but on both occassions it did not complete.
I can imagine that if I contact Toshiba they will say run the Recovery CD but that would mean having to back up all my data first.
The taskbar icon next to the clock says the the laptop is not connected (which is not surprising). It used to connect to the internet automatically after login.
I have checked that the Wireless Communication switch on the front of the laptop is switched on.
Does anyone know of a way to install the missing driver or correct my problem, with using the recovery disc?

Ditch999 20:32 25 Jul 08

"I've tried two differetn system resore points but on both occassions it did not complete."
Did you try System Restore in Safe Mode? It works better.

Ollyolly 20:59 25 Jul 08

Ditch999

Thanks for that tip.
System restore worked in Safe mode and now the laptop connects automatically after login with no driver message.
Still got the black desktop but that shouldn't be a problem.
Have to go out now but I thought I would let you know about the progress.

Cheers.

Ollyolly 09:21 26 Jul 08

Ditch999

Laptop still working this morning. Seems happy with the desktop picture. Downloaded a couple of Windows updates and Ad-aware 2008. All running smoothly.

I didn't realise that system restore worked differently in safe mode. I've never heard of that before but I will remember that's for sure.

I'll mark this thread as resolved now.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant