WLAN disabled

steve263000 20:38 28 Nov 09

I have recently purchased this click here and all was working well and online with no problems. However last weekend the wireless internet would not work and after searching around I found a message that said that the WLAN was disabled and the swith was turned off. I have certainly turned nothing off and don't even know where the switch is. I can get online by using the SMC dongle that I used before but would rather get connected properly. Can someone help?

User-1229748 20:44 28 Nov 09

might mean the wireless button is off on your lappy.

User-1229748 20:46 28 Nov 09

also if using a router some of them have a button to disable wireless.

ambra4 21:29 28 Nov 09

“I have certainly turned nothing off and don't even know where the switch is”

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to

switch on the “Wireless Radio Antenna” via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a

small antenna icon to turn on the “Wireless Card Antenna”

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection

Area

If using XP do the following

Start - Setting-Network Connection - Right click Wireless Area Connection - Enable or Disable

as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

If using Windows 7 do the following

Right click on the Internet Access Icon in the task bar – Click Open Network & Shearing Center

Click on “Change Adapter Setting – Right click on the Local Area or Wireless Network

Connection – Click on “Enable or Disable” as required

steve263000 08:15 29 Nov 09

Well I have tried all the above thank you all but no success. I will get onto the help line provided by HP and try and sort it that way when I have time

birdface 10:21 29 Nov 09

Control panel.Administrative Tools. Services.And scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to automatic.
Or try device manager.network adaptors.There should be one on there for WLAN connection if not maybe a driver update required.
As you have just bought the laptop it should tell you how to turn the wireless connection off and on.It is usually a switch or the use of the FN buttons.It is quite easy to have turned it off accidentally if you did not know what the switch was for.

birdface 10:30 29 Nov 09

Maybe have a look through here and see if you can pick up any help.

click here

steve263000 13:43 02 Dec 09

Due to my stupidity the fix in the end was easy. I contacted the help line and they helped me find a button that was literally under my nose! I had been searching all over the place for this and of course it was the easiest to find on the computer in the end. Oh well I have the excuse that I have never owned a lappy even if I cannot use that one again.....

Thanks to all that have responded as usual.

Steve

User-1229748 13:49 02 Dec 09

lol,at least you got it sorted,that's the main thing :o)

ambra4 15:34 02 Dec 09

Tick the box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…