Without wires. Without a clue

themightybarnski 15:34 15 Oct 04

I have Wanadoo broadband at home and a US Robotics USR5450 802.11g Wireless Turbo Multi-Function Access Point.

My Thinkpad has Centrino built in and I'm having trouble putting it all together. I think my Thomson speedtouch modem as supplied by Wanadoo lacks the routing abilites required.

The USR site is not much help either. Do I need a router or does the USR kit act as such and its a configuration issue on my laptop?

mgmcc 23:07 15 Oct 04

Your USR device does appear to be a wireless router. However, to use a router which doesn't have a built-in ADSL modem, you need to use a separate ADSL modem which supports an ethernet connection - you cannot use a USB modem with a router. It is the router which connects directly to the ISP, not the PCs which get their internet access via the LAN.

At the moment, you can use it as a basic "wireless access point" by connecting it to your main PC by ethernet cable and to the laptop wirelessly.

You will then need to set up "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection of the PC with the modem attached. When you set up ICS, the 'host' PC acts as a DHCP server to allocate IP, Subnet, DNS and Gateway addresses to the 'client' which has its network adapter set to get addresses automatically. The problem is that a router also allocates addresses to the networked PCs so you need to disable its DHCP server to avoid a conflict. You might get away with giving the 'client' PC a fixed IP address, although ICS can be temperamental with fixed IPs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…