Wirless Printer Questions

axelbrora 17:52 04 May 09

Hi,

I have Brother DCP-340CW wireless printer that I want to connect to my laptop. It is already connected via the USB to my desktop.

Do I need to install all of the printer software and drivers on to my laptop as well?

If I want to set up a hard wired network and add the printer in do I need an ethernet cable from my printer to the router or can it be set up by using the USB connection to my desktop?

If I decide to go wirless can I set it all up from the laptop? I have tried it from the printer control panel and get stuck as I cannot get the set up wizard on my printer to do anything.

Axel

woodchip 18:06 04 May 09

what does printer manual say? I would think you need to load Software on all computers so you have full control of printer Driver

Batch 19:13 04 May 09

If it is a wireless printer, currently connected by USB cable to your desktop, you will need to install the appropriate drivers on the laptop to use it directly from the laptop.

Alternatively, you should be able to use it from the laptop via the desktop. Again you will need to install the printer drivers on the laptop, but "share" the printer on the desktop first and then point the laptop at the shared printer over the local network.

Or, last option - install it via a USB connection on your lappie. But then you'd need to unplug it from the desktop first.

iarno 19:15 04 May 09

'Do I need to install all of the printer software and drivers on to my laptop as well?'

The answer to this is yes. You will find all the information on the CD-ROM

I.

axelbrora 13:37 05 May 09

Thanks for the reponses.

I believe the easiest way is to use the print sharing option as suggested above, but this means my desktop needs to be switched on as well as the laptop.

If I install the printer files on the laptop and add the printer to the network does this mean I can then print direclty from the laptop even if the desktop is switched off?

Can I do this through the USB on the desktop?

Axel

woodchip 15:17 05 May 09

If its Wireless it should work without being connected by Cable, You need to run the Networking Wizard with all your Equipment turned on. and load drivers on all pc's that you want to us the printer on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…