Wirless network wit AOL

I have been asked by a friend to set up a wireless network for use with AOL broadband.

Although I have a wireless network at home, my ISP is NTL so connection is via a wireless router connected to a cable modem.

Am I right in thinking that for AOL, a DSL/Router is required, and that this replaces the AOL modem.
I assume that just a wireless network adaptor will be required for the second PC.

I use Belkin equipment at home is this seems vry easy to st up, which is important for me as I have vry little knowledge of networking.

Many thanks.

Taff36 13:11 29 Jul 05

Yes a wireless modem router is required. AOL will tell you that you need to be on their premium service for this unless you buy the router from them. What they mean is they won`t offer support.

A USB wireless adapter will do it and this is what I`ve used successfully with an AOL account previously. click here The adapter is bundled with the router. You can take the collect from store option and save yourself some money by ordering on line and collecting at the reduced price.

Almost any good router will do it, you just need to go into the AOL Expert Settings to change the router details. If you are happy with the Belkin gear stick with it. The instructions for the D-Link aren`t good but we have managed to "talk" people through it on this forum.

Thanks Taff36

Please excuse my ignorance but what is D-Link. Also, what sort if information do I need to enter into the AOL Expert Settings.

I did help someone set up a system using a DSL/Router but they were with a different ISP and it was very simple.

Taff36 10:37 30 Jul 05

D-Link are the manufacturer of the Modem/Router in my link (click here). I don`t remember exactly the settings because I did them on the hoof at a friends flat. Basically you start up the AOL login process and on the first page there is a link to expert settings. You click on that and change the settings from cable to wireless as appropriate. A little bit of experimentation with the settings I didn`t understand sorted it. Then it was simple to sort the D-Link Wireless router out.

I suggest you use the search facility on this website to see other threads on this subject. (Don`t be put off by the problems - we can sort them out!) type in "D-Link" which will bring up loads about the DSL-604T and try "Wireless Network Advice" for a few more alternative routers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…