Wirless network

I have just purchased a Tiny notebook which is fitted with a Centrino processor, allowing wirless netweorking.

I have a Belkin 802.11b wilrelss router, which connetcs to the desktop PC's via Belkin USB wireless adaptors. After installation of the drivers and adaptors, each PC automatically connects to the router. The same applies if I attach a Belkin adaptor to the notebook.

However, I would like to know what I need to do to get the notebook to conect to the router without the Belkin adaptor attached. I was under the impression that the network would automatically be detected but this is not the case.

Bump

Chezdez 10:42 29 Jan 05

you need the adapter to connect to the router, the processor has nothing to do with connecting to the router (except by running the computer, lol)

FelixTCat 11:54 29 Jan 05

Most centrino notebooks have a switch (either hardware or software) to turn the internal wireless adapter on and off. Check that it is switched on. Provided that all other settings are correct (it sounds like it, if the Belkin aapter works) you should be able to connect.

Chezdez 13:35 29 Jan 05

my bad there?

i wasn't aware that there was an internal adaptor in centrinos, but maybe they do (would help with being portable i guess)

can anyone confirm this please?

FelixTCat 14:08 29 Jan 05

Chezdez

Go to Intel's site. They seem to think that centrino includes wireless.

Thanks for replies.

FelixTcat, are you able to advise how I can check whether the internal wirless adaptor is swithced on or not.

FelixTCat 23:57 29 Jan 05

First go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and look in Network Adapters. You will see something like "Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, depending on your exact hardware setup. If found, go to Control Panel - Network Connections and look for a Wireless Network Connection icon. Open this to see Connection Status.

Also, have a look in the computer handbook - it may be on acd or even on the hard disk - also try Tiny's website - and see what it says about the wireless adapter.

Centrino laptops have the facility to turn the wireless adapter on and off becauseit is quite a drai on the battery when away from a mains connection.

Thanks, FelixTcat.

The adaptor is showing up in Device Manager but I am not able to check the settings in the way you describe.

In the system tray, there is a red X over the connection icon.

I wonder if the problem relates to the fact that Crentrino's offer Wi-Fi connections whereas the router is simply 802.11b, or should these devices be able to communicate.

The literature that came with the notebook is very basic and does not even ralate to specific notebook models.

FelixTCat 22:47 30 Jan 05

Your adapter will be either 802.11b or 802.11g - both will work with a 802.11b router, though only at 11Mbit/sec.

Double-click (or right-click) on the connection icon to open it. Look for an option to switch the adapter on or off (if it is the Intel(R) PROset for Wireless, it is on the General tab near the bottom. This is a software switch.

Does your laptop have a number of preset buttons as well as the power button? One of them is probably the wireless on/off button. This is the hardware switch. There is probably also a small light which tells you whether the wireless is on or off.

Let us know a bit more about what you have.

roy 22:53 30 Jan 05

Having looked at this webpage click here it would seem that some centrino notebooks do have network capability internally. However, I suspect that this is not necessarily a feature of all centrino notebooks. It is not the processor that connects.

Are you sure that yours has the necessary hardware?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5