Wirelss Network Security - Is it Neccessary?

thegreypanther 19:40 22 Apr 06

My wireless network is not secured and is open access. My question is, - does this matter? I am quite happy for "outsiders" to piggy-back on my wireless connection, but does this put me at risk from hackers? Should I ensure that my wirless network is FULLY protected?

woodchip 20:04 22 Apr 06

Yes fully. You should setup Encryption on the Router and wireless computers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 22 Apr 06

So you happy for me to use your connection to go on dubious sites with your IP address, downloading illicit material using your bandwidth (slowing your own connection)?

Secure your connection!!!!!

bremner 20:15 22 Apr 06

Securing the network will prevent the kind of use described by Fruit Bat and for that reason alone you are better securing the connection.

However in terms of hacking it will make little difference. Should anyone want to access your machine the protection provided by the wireless router will be easily bypassed.

The point is why would anyone want to hack your machine.

SG Atlantis® 20:17 22 Apr 06

This has to be the daftest question ever.

I'm sorry, but it is.

thegreypanther 22:15 22 Apr 06

WHY is this the daftest question ever?

VoG II 22:21 22 Apr 06

It isn't a daft question but the answer is yes - lock it dowm. If you right click the wireless connections icon in the notification area and select View available wireless networks, you could be surprised.

SG Atlantis® 22:47 22 Apr 06

If anything can be secured then it's best to secure it. Never leave anything to chance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…