Wireless/wired access point - confused

  Infoh 12 Sep 11

Hi all

Bit confused about what it is I need..

Basically I have my router and modem up stairs in my office however I want a wired connection downstairs but I don't want to run a cable down stairs

Is there a device that I would plug into the wall that could connect to my wifi and give me an ethernet connection from that? Ive seen some devices but they don't explain it too well... They don't seem to have any way of inputting my wifi password...

Please help lol


  mgmcc 12 Sep 11

I'm not sure why, if you want a wired ethernet connection downstairs, WiFi comes into the discussion.

Normally, with a computer remote from the router, connection would be wireless directly from the computer to the router without any cables, provided there was a good enough signal.

However, if you do want a wired ethernet connection without running a cable all the way, I'd suggest using Powerline adapters to link the router and computer via the electric wiring. You would plug one adapter into a socket beside the router and connect to it by ethernet cable and a second adapter beside the computer and run an ethernet to the computer.

Examples of Powerline adapters

  Infoh 12 Sep 11

Ok so I would need 2 like this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1315863491&sr=8-1

Plug one into wall next to router and connect to router by Ethernet then plug other one next to computer and connect to computer via Ethernet?


  mgmcc 13 Sep 11

Yes that's correct. One thing to be aware of is that these adapters tend not to like being plugged into extension leads, they should be plugged directly into the wall socket.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message