Wireless zero configuration problem

Flying Teddy 11:57 31 Mar 06

My daughter has a laptop, an Acer 1350, into which a 3Com wireless card 3CRWE154G72 is fitted. This worked fine before she went away to uni. Now she's back and the card won't connect to our home wireless network unless I manually start the Wireless Zero Configuration service. This is fine until the laptop is restarted, then the service is found to be stopped, even though set to automatic, which fails the network connection, and has to be started manually again.

I uninstalled the wireless card, deleted the network connection, cleaned the registry and reinstalled everything just like I did originally, but the situation remains the same.

The last stage of the Windows wireless network setup wizard fails, telling me to go and see Microsoft item 871122, which tells me to turn on the wireless zero config service, which is fine until I restart.... etc etc

There appears to be no other relevant service listed, at least not relating to 3Com, so I can't think that there is a conflict in that area. I hope I'm wrong, cos that would be an easy fix!

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas...

dms05 12:19 31 Mar 06

Have you enabled the 3Com WiFi Card Utility? If I have my Netgear WiFi Utility running it turns of the Windows ZCS and I have to manually restart.

Flying Teddy 12:36 31 Mar 06

Yes I have. It seems to pick up an IP that has no relation to the local network; possibly from her uni network, but I don't know how to check that...?

Flying Teddy 13:55 31 Mar 06

Well I've cracked it.

I had made the assumption that the 3Com config utility would pick up the encryption key that I had laboriously entered (13 hex pairs twice, many times) from the windows config. This assumption was made because I could not see anywhere in the 3com config anywhere to input that key information.

Having made the intellectual leap to consider that this may not be the case, I noted (on the 73rd trip round the 3com config - duh!) a dependent box asking for a 'pass phrase' I then made the mental connection (duh! - again) between 'pass phrase' and 'secret phrase' that the router had asked me for when it originally generated the encryption key.

So, I typed in that phrase and bingo! We're away. Phew!

Aren't wireless networks brilliant!?

Thanks to dms05 for pointing me in the right direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…