Wireless woes

toga 22:56 15 May 05

I have just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, running xp pro (equiped with wireless adaptor).

I also got bt bb (bt 1800hg hub).

when I connect to the hub via my eithernet rj45 on the notebook, I can access bb ok. However, when I disconect the eithernet cable and try to add my notebook to the network via the wirless connection, I get no where (also the local network light indicator on the hub is not lit).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

woodchip 23:16 15 May 05

It took me three week to figure this one out. You need to go to Device Manager and Disable the built in Ethernet. As computer is getting mixed up on what to use it's still looking at the built in Ethernet card

toga 23:46 15 May 05

I see, that would explain why there are 2 network connections showing, both enabled. I give that a try.

Many thanks

woodchip 23:52 15 May 05

You need to disable the correct one and you may also have to reload the software for it to recognise it

toga 22:30 16 May 05

woodchip did you have to select an option via tcp/ip protocol to allow the wireless card to automatically recieve an ip address.

Taff36 22:35 16 May 05

Are these two threads similar or the same problem? click here

woodchip 22:41 16 May 05

In Networking I removed all Except TCP/IP I also Removed the Software from Add Remove and Uninstalled the Card from Devise Manager rebooted without the card in, then ran CD that came with card and it told me when to put the card in it then loaded the Driver and I had to restart comp from then on I have not had any Problems. But before I disabled the Onboard and did the above, I had no idea what was the Problem until I got a error from Connection software that I downloaded, It said I had a Network Error so I did the Above and my Laptop now finds Router every time, You also need to check that Default info matches with router Wireless Info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…