Wireless Woes

Steric 16:58 26 Oct 03

I've just decided to go wireless and as I have a broadband router I thought an access point would suit me, plus I could switch it off when I don't need it.

I intend to use the wireless side with my laptop, a IBM Thinkpad A30p which has a 10/100 Ethernet & 802.11b wireless combo card inside. It is running Windows XP with all the latest updates. I bought a SMC2455W access point, as my router is also an SMC, a SMC7004BR Barricade. But the SMC2455W won't talk to my laptop. The laptop recognises the wireless (WLAN) is there and displays a speed of 11Mbps but that is it, the access point doesn't respond. The daft thing is some time ago, someone nearby had a wireless system and my laptop logged into it as it was unprotected but I think they have now moved as it isn't there anymore.

SMC supply a cd and I've installed that but when that searches for the access settings it can't find any and where the details should be remains blank.

I can get into the access points web based program by going sort of backwards via my router that way. I found that by accident. I've changed the password and updated the firmware to the latest version but the rest I've left exactly in its default settings. So, I am sure the access point is working properly.

IBM supply a program called Access Connections and I now wonder if that is spoiling the party because it keeps telling me my wireless is disconnected.

Can anyone give me any pointers please? I've now spent about 8 hours trying and I can't think what to do next.

Thanks

Steric

AndySD 17:14 26 Oct 03

It may be that the laptop is trying to access the wireless network using the settings used for the wired LAN.

Try using an Alternate Configuration click here click here

or try creating a second profile click here to use wiht the new access point.

Steric 18:16 26 Oct 03

Your a star mate

I had to manually set up the Alternative Configuration Feature and that did it. Just to prove it I'm now using it wirelessly.

Thanks again

Steric

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…