Wireless Woe - keep losing connection

The Ghost of Inept Pig 19:47 05 Dec 06

Hi folks,

Bought some wireless kit in the summer and have been reasonably happy with it so far (despite the odd problem).

However, over the past few days I keep losing the connection between my computer and the router with alarming regularity; we're talking at least once every ten minutes - it makes playing online games impossible, and even browsing the the internet is frustrating.

I have NETGEAR DG834G Router and NETGEAR WG311G Wireless card, and am running Windows XP.

I've updated the firmware, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

Any suggestions?

RicScott 11:09 06 Dec 06

Resetting the router?

Aargh 14:50 06 Dec 06

Interference? Try changing channels - could as simple as a cordless phone or other wireless device in the vicinity disrupting your signal.

Le-verde 15:17 06 Dec 06

try to format ur PC to recover the registery that wil work 100%

The Ghost of Inept Pig 16:35 06 Dec 06

Thanks for the feedback.

Router has been reset, firmware upgraded, have changed the channel - all to no effect.

When downloading/streaming video the connection will stay live, but shortly after any download/streaming has ended - the connection will again drop.

I've checked my timeout settings, and the only one I'm aware of is set to '0' (never disconnect) and is related to my web connection, more than my wireless.

Formatting my PC? Registry? Really? Never heard of a wireless problem being solved this way before!

Ashrich 22:09 06 Dec 06

Could this be a power saving feature , works fine dyring a big download but shuts down when finished , go into Device manager and in the cards properties see if there is any entry in the Advanced category to turn off power saving .

Ashley

martin-753588 12:33 07 Dec 06

I had the identical problem with the 834. I could see a 100% strength signal but at random times would completely drop for no apparant reason. After much messing around, I spoke with Netgears No Help line who informed me the dongle was faulty and should be returned. I did so, switched ISP to BT, got a daddy of a router for free and (touch wood) have had no problems ever since.

I'd phone Netgear - see what they can do.

>steve< 16:00 18 Dec 06

do not follow le verds advice that is ridiculous never herd anything so silly.it sounds to me as though this could be the router overheating is the router near a heat source or covered?if not then i would say this is a fault with the router.this is quite a regular problem with some makes,i had the same problem 6 months ago changed the router everything's fine now.

>steve< 16:07 18 Dec 06

i forgot to ask are you using broadband or dial up if it is dial up,has your service been upgraded to a 2mb connection?as the problem you have as been reported many times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5