Wireless from wired University life

Jokor 12:30 PM 06 Sep 12

Hi everyone, My partner is moving to her university accommodation soon and she has recently found out that she will not be able to have a wireless connection in the accommodation, she will however be able to connect her laptop via Ethernet. I was wondering if there is anyway I could get a router and connect it up to the Ethernet cable and have some sort of wifi connection flowing through it? Thanks Joe

mgmcc 12:42 PM 06 Sep 12

She could connect either a "Wireless Access Point" or a wireless "Cable/DSL Router" to the ethernet port to provide a wireless network.

Strangely, a wireless Cable/DSL router, which incorporates a Wireless Access Point, is often cheaper than a stand-alone Wireless Access Point.

Have a read of my comments in this thread which relates to a fairly similar situation.

Jokor 13:01 PM 06 Sep 12

Thanks for the advice, that other thread helped quite a lot. I just couldn't remember whether i could actually connect a router up to the ethernet cable that was coming from another router. Luckily i have a couple of DLink and Netgear routers laying around from when i upgraded so i will be able to take them and use them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…