Wireless & wired broadband on same line?

compumac 08:32 04 Feb 08

My son has a situation where a standard BT router has been used for some time connecting by an RJT cable to a laptop, this has worked fine for some two years. He is on BT broadband. He moved house last week and was advised by BT that BT broadband is also connected to the new home. He used the original setup and initially an internet connection was made OK.
A wireless router was purchased and we find that we can connect wirelessly for a few minutes and the connection is lost. BT indicates that there may be a fault on the line that needs correcting. We are not completely convinced at this time as to the cause of the problem as it is intermittent and seemingly only displays when the wireless router is being used. It should be said that with moving house the time spent on the internet has been somewhat limited and therefore the search for the cause has only just started.

My thinking is to connect both routers independently and connect them to two PC’s, boot them both up and make a connection to the internet and see if the connection is dropped on either/both. If the wireless one drops then it should be the wireless setup or the router itself, if both drop out then it should be the phone line. Does this logic make sense?

Question Can I connect two router up via different phone sockets and expect them both to function OK?

Graham. 09:17 04 Feb 08

The short answer is no.

I'm a little concerned by BT saying broadband is connected to the new house. Did your son arrange for it to be transferred?

compumac 09:32 04 Feb 08

Graham
Broadband was already at the new home but with AOL. My son contacted BT and they say the broadband has been transferred over to them.

bjh 10:23 04 Feb 08

It may well take up to three weeks (!!!) for the line to entrain itself. Normally a vast exaggeration, and it takes a few hours, but it does depend on line stability.

The modem will try to connect at a high speed, and if this fails, it will try a lower speed.

It could be an internal line fault and, if BT come to sort this out, they will charge a small (actually huge - about £140??) fortune.

It is therefore well worth running the system from the main BT socket with faceplate removed. Line problem still there? BT fixes for free. Line problem gone? It's your internal wiring, and a rewire might be a sensible option.

I move a lot and nowadays just redo the internal phone wire as routine. Saves a lot of confusion!

bjh 10:24 04 Feb 08

Oh, you can only use one modem at a time, if I read what you say correctly. Two will cause mass confusion! Graham and I agree on that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac