wireless what do i need??

raggy 2 14:12 16 Jul 07

guys, i am looking to switch to sky for my broadband(as i have everything else with them and my son wants his PS3 online) and with it they advertise a wireless set up, but how can i check if my PC will take this?? what do i need to look at. I know it sounds a basic question but although on the internet i have absolutley no idea on this, and also how reliable is it to use the internet in any room in the house?? do you lose any signal strength?

wrg 15:56 16 Jul 07

raggy

First off you need a wireless router. To configure it to enable wireless you will need to connect it to your PC via ethernet. If your PC does not have a wireless card then you will need the router to connect to the internet with that computer (unless you buy a wireless card). If you PC has a wireless card then the router does not need to be connected to the PC to get on the internet, only to configure it. I have a router downstairs in our livingroom and I can access the internet upstairs and in our conservatory. The signal strength will not be as strong but should be available. From advice that I have read somewhere the router should be placed if poss in the middle of the range of what you want and high up. Electrical equipment and walls will affect the signal.

postie24 15:56 16 Jul 07

You will need to buy one of these
click here
or one of these
click here

You should have no problems in getting a good signal,as long as you position the wireless router in a good postition.
Keep it away from home cordless home phones because it can cause interference.
Keep the router ventilated because they get hot.
Dont forget to set up security on the roter so no-one can access your network.
If you have problems setting it up,post back when you get it and either myself or another forum member will go through it with you

Postie24

raggy 2 16:16 16 Jul 07

thanks again

postie24 16:28 16 Jul 07

Thats ok,glad to help

Postie24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac