Wireless Webcam

sammy78 13:58 09 Sep 03

I'm wanting to put up a remote outdoor webcam but need more info on the specifications required for such a project. Obviously it would have to be wireless but i'm not sure how close the camera would have to be to my server for it to work correctly(approx 2 miles away with no line of sight). Can anyone help me?

Barrie_G 18:11 09 Sep 03

Cant see you being able to do it with the sort of stuff that you will be able to get from the highstreet, this sort of thing is going to need some serious kit, apart from the camera you'll need a transmitter, reciever and quite a heavy duty power supply if your going to have it on for any length of time.

Two miles is really quite a distance and if you think that most walkie-talkies that you can buy have a range of under a mile, and thats just for voice communication you start to get some idea.

WaiKent 18:18 09 Sep 03

wow, never heard of webcams with two mile wireless. i think it'll be a more advanced system than just a webcam. mind me asking why you want one like that. the transmit speed will also be slow. very slow.

sammy78 09:34 10 Sep 03

It's actually an idea my boss came up with and he's put me in charge of figuring out how to do it. We are about to start construction of a new building and he's wanting sone sort of webcam so that people can log on to our website and see how things are progressing. The only problem is that our server is two miles away from the site so hard wiring the cam really isn't an option. Do you guys have any ideas (assuming price is no object).

Barrie_G 14:47 10 Sep 03

Price being no object my best suggestion assuming power supply etc. would be to set up a cheap computer to connect the web cam to, and set up a adsl account for the location where the pc is sited and set up the web page from there.

fitshase 16:46 10 Sep 03

You could try setting this up:-

(1) 1 x click here

(2) 2 x click here

(3) 2 x click here

You might need to add more of number (3) along the route as you have no line of site.

The best option would be to get a cheap laptop and webcam, get an ADSL account (from a company where you can get a monthly rolling contract) and set the laptop up on the site in a strong box (ventilated) and run the webcam from there.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…