Wireless Virgin

The Hedge 12:08 28 Oct 07

I currently use a Desktop accessing the internet via a wired modem. Firstly I want to move to a wireless system but my PC isn't set up with a card. Can I install a wireless router and buy a USB card to communicate with the router? Then I can ditch the 10m of cable running from phone socket to PC. Also I have the option of a free laptop, again it would need a USB connector as it's not set up for Wi-fi.
What is the best router to go for? I live in an old Victorian terraced house with brick walls. The desktop is 10m and 1 brick wall away from the ideal router site (upstairs bedroom). The laptop would primarily be used downstairs and 15m and 2 walls away.
Or am I just talking complete gibberish?

nick2308 13:22 28 Oct 07

Can I install a wireless router and buy a USB card to communicate with the router? - Yes, buy a USB wifi adaptor
Then I can ditch the 10m of cable running from phone socket to PC. - Yes
Also I have the option of a free laptop, again it would need a USB connector as it's not set up for Wi-fi. - Yes
What is the best router to go for? - I've had no problems with Netgear, however some people will slate them. Just ensure that you buy the same manufacturer for the router and the usb dongles (some manufacturers will bundle them together), makes life easier.
The laptop would primarily be used downstairs and 15m and 2 walls away. - Should be okay, the trouble is you will only find out when you have spent out for the kit. See if you can borrow some kit of a mate to test it.
Or am I just talking complete gibberish? No

Strawballs 20:23 03 Nov 07

Yes you can do exactly what you are after my advise would be go for a usb adapter for the laptop and for the desktop a usb adapter with extention wire to get it away from the back of the desktop.

If it is ADSL then any one of these will do click here

If it is Cable then any one of these will do click here

USB adapters click here

Strawballs 20:26 03 Nov 07

Sorry should have read title go for the cable option assuming it is Virgin cable.

I live in a house built around 1890 and my wireless works all round the house and across the road when I take my laptop over there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5