Wireless - USB or Wireless Card?

Ade_1 13:31 05 Nov 05

Hi, i will be purchasing wireless broadband modem router (BT voyager 2110.I think that is the newest one from BT) But i am wondering whether to get a wireless card with it or a USB adaptor. Which would be the better one to buy? and what type of slot does it go into?

I currently have wired and when i installed my computer to broadband using ethernet it didnt work... It realised it was there but no connection was sent through but when i installed it on USB it worked fine... I have a Dell Dimension 5100 - Can you help at all with this problem
Any help would be great thanks

mgmcc 15:17 05 Nov 05

The options for a Wireless Network Adapter are either a PCI card or a USB adapter. Installing a PCI card involves opening up the PC and plugging the WiFi adapter into a free PCI slot on the motherboard.

Although a PCI card is probably the preferred option, because USB technology was not designed for networking, in practice as long as you have USB 2.0 ports there shouldn't be a problem with a USB WiFi adapter.

The reason for requiring USB 2.0 is that USB 1.1, with a data transfer speed of 12Mbps, restricts an 802.11g wireless adapter effectively to the 802.11b speed of 11Mbps instead of 54Mbps. This doesn't matter for the relatively slow speed (in networking terms) of a broadband connection, but does become significant for file transfers between computers in a local network. USB 2.0 with a data transfer speed of 480Mbps doesn't restrict the WiFi adapter's performance.

I use a USB wireless adapter so that I can swap it easily between computers on the rare occasions when I use a wireless, rather than a more reliable "wired", network connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…