Wireless USB adapter signal dropping

Rhuddlan 21:25 27 Jul 14

Recently acquired sky broadband had to place the router in the living room next to the phone line, pc upstairs in bedroom opposite end of the living room has a USB wireless network adapter installed however signal keeps dropping according to windows it's a problem with the adapter however when it us connected at least nearly all the bars on the icon in the task bar are showing so it seems to be a good signal when available. The latest drivers are installed and there is no problems showing in device manager. I really don't understand what the issue is??

rdave13 21:30 27 Jul 14

Check what channel the router is broadcasting on. It might be interference causing it. If it's on auto change to manual and try channel 11 first then 9.

Rhuddlan 19:48 28 Jul 14

Thanks rdave13 that seems to have stayed connected however now internet explorer and google chrome won't load anything! I have selected channel 11 I'll try 9 too

Rhuddlan 21:06 28 Jul 14

Great so the signal dropping has stopped however now we pages won't load in ie or google chrome! I changed the wireless channel from auto to 11, also deleted cookies and web history but still no luck. I have no choice but to have my broadband router and pc in different rooms due to lack of space

Rhuddlan 21:27 28 Jul 14

I'm afraid my luck has ran out. Both channels 9 & 11 are now dropping! Can anyone suggest something else?

rdave13 10:20 29 Jul 14

Re set the channel to auto on your router. It doesn't look like that's the problem. Next thing I'd try is to go to device manager, find network adapters, expand and find the usb dongle. Right click, properties, power management tab, and untick the box for "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

Rhuddlan 19:51 29 Jul 14

Thanks rdave13 everything has been ok now for 24hrs so fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…