Wireless USB Adapter Problem

DavidSh 21:35 19 May 03

Shortly to go broadband I am attempting to network a pc and laptop. Set up is US Robotics USR8022 wireless cable/dsl router, Netgear PCMCIA wireless card and wireless USB adapter.
I set up the router and PCMIA card in the laptop which connects fine.
The USB adapter in the PC produces an icon in the system tray saying a wireless connection is available - same name as on the laptop. It will not connect. All settings I can find regarding connection are the same on both machines.
What on earth am I missing?

Forum Editor 21:56 19 May 03

on one of the machines - or both of them?

If you do, disable it/them and try again. Come back here with an update.

Both machines have the same workgroup name I presume? And different computer names? Both have TCP/IP installed? Client for Microsoft networks? File and printer sharing?

jazzypop 21:56 19 May 03

Is the card that will not connect behind a firewall?

Is it setup to ad-hoc mode? Try switching to access point mode (the access point being the IP of the router).

See click here

Forum Editor 22:01 19 May 03

I cheated and posted (in addition and in error) a cut and paste version of an answer I gave to someone else about a similar problem. You may have received two email notifications about posts from me - sorry.

DavidSh 21:15 20 May 03

Did have zone alarm running on the laptop, now disabled. Both machines running XP Home and the windows firewalls are not on.
Wireless Network Connection Properties on both machines has ticks against TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft networks and File & Printer sharing. In the USR8022 properties under the Association tab the computer to computer (ad-hoc) network box is not ticked. Workgroup name MSHOME on both and different computer names.
When I tried to run the Network Setup Wizard on the PC that is not connecting to the router it advises that the USB adapter is disconnected. Icon in system tray still tells me the connection is available but won't connect when I tell it to. Fustrating thing is the laptop I am on is connected at full strength!

grandad89 21:34 20 May 03

Does the computer connected to the internet account have the internet sharing box ticked?

jazzypop 23:06 20 May 03

I can't tell from the info above which make of wireless adaptor you have on your PC. However, it is usually the case that if you right-click on the icon in the system tray, you can adjust it's properties there.

As the router is not set to ad-hoc mode, nor should the PC USB adaptor. You may have to tell it the IP address of the router (e.g. 192.168.0.1).

See also click here and click here and click here

Finally, a few manufacturer's drivers clash with XP's Wireless Zero Configuration Service (the automatic background service that detects and latches onto a network when a wireless card is installed) - try disabling it, see if your adaptor then 'springs into life'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…