wireless university network problem

welshy1984 18:52 18 Sep 07

hi everyone,

my girlfriend is currently in private halls at university. they have wireless Internet... but she cannot pick up a wireless connection through the windows wireless utility... but her flat mates are recieving it fine.

she has a RALINK RT500 Wireless LAN card

the process she had to go through is a bit alien to me.

1. she ran an 'IPCONFIG /ALL' in command prompt
2. next she had to get the IP of her wireless card (eg. 00-12-A5-45-01-76)
3. she then had to send this number to the IT guy who then said she should be able to get internet.

she scanned for available wireless networks using the default windows wireless utility... and nothing.

I really dont know what to do to help her here as i have never encountered this kind of internet connection?

postie24 21:41 18 Sep 07

Is she on XP?
Make sure the wireless card is enabled.
Click start/run
Type in services.msc
Scoll down to wireless zero and make sure the service is running.
The numbers and letters in your posting is the mac address,thats what the IT guy needs from your girlfriend.He has set the router up like that for extra security.
Tell your girlfriend to ask the IT guy what the name of the network is incase he has the SSID disabled ( network name)

welshy1984 21:55 18 Sep 07

yeah she is on XP.

we checked the 'wireless zero' and it is running fine.

it is a bit odd as when she is back home her wireless internet runs fine.

we know the network name is enabled as her flat mates have it come up on there wireless connections

i'm beginning to think its something to do with using windows 'wireless utility'... i wonder if using another method to scan for wireless wil work?

postie24 07:45 19 Sep 07

Can she borrow a wireless usb adapter to try.
I know someone who can connect to other networks but not her own using the onboard lan card.
She tried a usb adapter and she connected straight away.
Just a thought sometimes the firewall can block you connecting if its not configured right.Is she using the windows one or a 3rd party one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017