Wireless Tiscali broadband

Charlitax 23:39 30 Nov 05

Can anyone advise me on what hardware I need to create a wireless broadband connection on my laptop. I have Tiscali broadband with a USB modem, the laptop is running XP. Many thanks

Tim1964 23:51 30 Nov 05

You will need a wireless ADSL modem/router with an ethernet connection. The USB modems that the ISPs give out are the absolute minimum hardware to get online,(that's why they can offer them for free!).

You'll also need a wireless PCMCIA card or USB wireless adapter for the lappy if it isn't wireless enabled already.

For examples of hardware just google "wireless ADSL modem router" (incl. the "")

Tim1964 23:53 30 Nov 05

Just to add.......even though you will end up with a completely wireless solution it is advisable to set up the router via wired connection first.

Diodorus Siculus 23:54 30 Nov 05

You need a broadband wireless router/modem and a wireless receiver. Take a look at this one: click here

Charlitax 10:42 01 Dec 05

Thanks for the help. Just to recap, I need to ditch the modem supplied by Tiscali and replace it with a suitable wireless modem/router.I take it that the settings needed for the new modem are readily available from Tiscali as I assume these, for the original modem, are on the original setup disc and cannot be accessed for the new modem.

Tim1964 12:34 01 Dec 05

To setup the router initially you won't need the setup CD or even the disc that comes with the router for that matter.
Switch off the PC, connect router to phone cable and PC. Swicth on router (give it a minute to synch).
Switch on PC and, using your browser, enter router's internal website address usually something like http ://198.168.1.1 (it will be in the instuctions).
Enter username and password that you use already and you will be online.
From there set up wireless bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…