Wireless with Telewest/BlueYonder - is it possible

Kate A 00:12 07 May 06

Have just installed a wireless network, which seems to be working... But I can't access the internet wirelessly.

I have a Belkin wireless network card in an AJP laptop. The router is a Sitecom Wireless Broadband Router WL153. I set up the router using an ethernet cable and I can access 192.168.0..etc. to alter settings. The wireless network connection always appears "excellent" and so all appears fine.

However, I can't figure out what I have to do to access the Internet..

Grateful for any suggestions, I can give more details if required, thanks

Kate A

remind 01:30 07 May 06

It should work no problem. you could try control panel/network connections/create a new connection and follow the steps

mgmcc 08:03 07 May 06

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Kate A 10:42 07 May 06

mgmcc - i was able to bring up the web interface at 192.168.0.1 and log in as admin, view different statistics, change settings. It certainly seemed as though I was logged in properly.
I've followed the instructions from both the wireless card and router manuals and am sure these have been followed correctly.
On the web interface, i can click on the DHCP tab and it provides an IP address, MAC address and the expiration time is 'forever'.

In the Internet tab is the following information:

View the current internet connection status and related information.

Attain IP Protocol : Dynamic IP disconnect
IP address :
Subnet Mask :
Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0
MAC address : 00:0C:F6:1B:62:4E
Primary DNS :
Secundary DNS :

Do I need to input this information - the MAC address here is different to that shown in the DHCP tab.
thanks

mgmcc 12:20 07 May 06

<<< i was able to bring up the web interface at 192.168.0.1 and log in as admin >>>

Are you doing that with a "wired" ethernet connection between the PC and router or "wirelessly"?

I actually meant that to connect to the router "wirelessly", you need to use the software in the PC to scan for Available Wireless Networks to connect to. This doesn't involve going into the router's configuration pages, which should already have been set up.

If those details you have listed are from the router, then it hasn't managed to get online via the Cable Modem. Power everything off, including the Cable Modem which should be left without power for a couple of minutes. This is important so that it "releases" the association between your existing connection and the IP address that it allocated to it. It needs to recognise a changed connection and allocate a new IP address.

Connect the router's WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet) port to the Cable Modem's ethernet port and the PC to one of the router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and wait for it to boot fully with four steady lights. Then power on the router and wait until it is fully up and running with lights showing an internet connection. Then, boot the PC.

If you now go into the router's Setup pages, the list you posted earlier should have the addresses allocated by Telewest to the router. Mine with Telewest, for example, are:

IP address : 82.41.88.102
Subnet Mask : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway : 82.42.88.1
MAC address :
Primary DNS : 62.31.64.39
Secundary DNS : 62.31.112.39

Kate A 16:35 07 May 06

for the response - i'm going to try that now... I hadn't switched off the telewest cable modem before - think that may have been the problem

will post back with my findings (hopefully wirelessly!)

Kate A 18:24 07 May 06

Still can't access the internet through the wireless router.

Would disabling Zonealarm make a difference?

I'm going to have another go!

mgmcc 19:53 07 May 06

What addresses is the router getting from Telewest and what addresses is the PC getting from the router?

You should get online via the router with a "wired" connection first and only then move on to getting the wireless side working.

<<< Would disabling Zonealarm make a difference? >>>

It wouldn't do any harm to configure it, although it shouldn't be preventing you from getting online. Open Zone Alarm, select the Firewall tab at the left and then the Zones tab at the top. Click the "Add" button and select "Subnet". Enter:

IP Address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click OK and, back in the main window, click Apply. Close Zone Alarm.

Kate A 20:11 07 May 06

but the internet eludes me if I attempt to go wireless.
This is what I see in the LAN connection details window:

Physical Address: 00-40-D0-2E-C0-13
IP Address: 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained: 07/05/2006 19:38:05
Lease Expires: 29/04/2036 19:38:05
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
WINS Server:

(the Physical address in this list is different to the MAC address I was assigned by my ISP - does that matter?) I'm very keen for any other suggestions you have - what other info can I give you that might help?

thanks

Kate A 21:08 07 May 06

Still the same info when I look at the router setup details.

When you said - "you should have the addresses allocated by Telewest to the router"

Does this mean that Telewest give you the information, or it's automatically provided in the router setup details?

Beginning to get a little fed up with this wireless access idea now...

mgmcc 00:19 08 May 06

<<< the Physical address in this list is different to the MAC address I was assigned by my ISP - does that matter? >>>

The Physical or MAC (Media Access Control) address is that of your network adapter. It is a unique set of 12 hexadecimal characters given to it when it is manufactured and cannot be altered. ISPs don't allocate MAC addresses.

When you connect to the ISP, it does allocate the IP address, Subnet Mask address, Default Gateway address and one or more DNS Server addresses. These would normally go to the PC which connects to the ISP but, if you have a router, these addresses go to the router instead. The Router in turn allocates LAN addresses to all computers connected to it.

If you are online with a wired connection to the router, then it is working and you don't need to worry if it is getting the addresses.

As regards the "wireless" connection, have you followed my earlier instructions about "Connecting" to the wireless network? If you have, the details for the Wireless Network Connection should be similar to those of your 'wired' connection except the last number of the IP address will be different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…