Wireless Stuff

Stowit 20:37 31 Jan 04

I'm thinking of buying a router for a home network (& to allow a neighbour to share my BB connection) Do any wireless routers have a USB socket to allow me to use my USB modem? Also my pcs are linked with wifi 'b' I think - 11 mbs. will this be a bottle neck on the internet connection. In other words what speed does my internet run at compared with a wireless router? And will running two pcs for home use slow it down a lot. (I'll only use one of my pcs at once)

SEASHANTY 23:23 31 Jan 04

There is a store of wireless networking knowledge on the Linksys education site click here

Stowit 10:49 01 Feb 04

Thanks seashanty, I've seen the site & it's good, I was hopeing for a quick answere to my modem question - I cant see it for looking. I suspect their rounters need a different modem connection. Of course it doesnt mention any other manufacturers

SEASHANTY 14:13 01 Feb 04

You haven't stated whether the BB is cable or ADSL?
I remember sometime ago the forum aditor stating that he used Draytek router but cannot remember if
it was ethernet or USB connection. I think this
Draytek one is ADSL BB. As for me I'm on NTL cable BB and use a Linksys non wireless set up.
click here

Stowit 23:05 01 Feb 04

ADSL, I think I'll struggle, I'll look at there web site & others, but I was being lazy & hoping someone would know without me doing the research! Thanks

flick 00:19 02 Feb 04

Some months ago I too looked for a router which I could use with my usb adsl modem (frog) but without success. Ended up buying a combined modem/router/WAP DG824M made by Netgear click here which has worked faultlessly ever since. I have 2 (sometimes 3) other computers sharing the broadband connection although rarely all at the same time. It's often the case that my son and I are on the internet at the same time and we have never noticed any slowdown. As to speed - his 11 Mbps wireless connection seems at fast as my ethernet one. Not very scientific, I'm afraid.

Stowit 18:29 06 Feb 04

Thanks flick, sounds similar to my (would be) setup, what I was hoping to hear!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…