Wireless speed

Bike-it 17:22 11 Mar 07

i have the netgear wireless router click here but i am looking to buy a Dell laptop which has wireless built into it, Wireless Connections: Integrated Dual-Band (802.11 a/b) antenna. Integrated IntelĀ® Pro/Wireless 3945 (802.11a/b/g)
Can anyone tell me which speed the laptop will give me

Ho-Lin-Sok 21:51 11 Mar 07

Do you mean which standard you should expect, most modern kit will be 802.11g at the moment.

Bike-it 22:03 11 Mar 07

No, what i mean is the router has Wireless Data Speed of up to 108 Mbps so will the laptop have a similar speed or how will i find out.

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:21 11 Mar 07

The 108Mbps refers to the router transfer rate and to be honest is not really relevant to your query. Your speed will depend on your line rate and all the variables therein. What service are you signed up for.

woodchip 22:34 12 Mar 07

If your router supports g then the Laptop should connect at that. A wired Ethernet is faster than Wireless every time

Bike-it 19:59 13 Mar 07

Are you sure woodchip as i have the router connected to the PC via ethernet and am getting a speed of 100Mpbs but the laptop is using a wireless usb adapter and it is getting a speed of 108Mpbs.

Ho-Lin-Sok 20:46 13 Mar 07

The 108Mbps is just a label. Try this to find your speedclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…