Wireless Speed

Seadog 00:05 16 Nov 04

I have just bought a Shuttle XPC (model SB65G2) that comes with a wireless LAN module with 802.11b. My question is, if I set up a wireless network with my sons computer and a wireless router (- only for internet access to 712 broadband, not as an actual network for transferring files if you see what I mean) will it be as fast as the wired system I have at present.
I am unsure of the speeds and such.....am I correct in assuming that 802.11b is 11Mb/s which is far faster and therefore easily capable of carrying my internet connection of 712(is it kb/s?) or am I way out...............all help/suggestions welcome and appreciated.

TomJerry 00:35 16 Nov 04

11b, quoted transfer rate 11 mbps, but you can only get half of that (5.5mbs) with good signal reception. But this us still faster than fastest BB (2mbps, 0.712kbps in your case)

LastChip 00:47 16 Nov 04

but probably, yes. It will be as fast for Internet access. You should however understand, if you start moving large graphic files from machine to machine, or video for example, you'll wish you still had that piece of copper cable!

The 11Mb/s quoted is only a theoretical maximum, more commonly, 2.5 - 4 Mb/s is the norm. Just as on a dial up modem of 56Kb/s, your doing well at around 44!

The trouble is, there are so many variables that can alter the equation, distance, walls, signals from elsewhere, all have a bearing on the overall performance.

In addition, WEP enabling is essential for security, and that has an overhead as well.

Having said all that, the bottom line is, you will probably be quite content with the result.

Seadog 00:48 16 Nov 04

Thanks very much but I always get confused with Mb/s or kg/m Nm and other such designations, I was ok with psi and other imperial measurements!
Thanks again

TomJerry 10:51 16 Nov 04

you are luck to know imperial measurements

I recently have to pick up it again because I have some projects with aerospace industry which still use imperial measurements because American (dominate aerospace industry) is still using it and they called "English system of units"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…