Wireless & Skype

Bike-it 19:46 PM 14 Nov 10

My son uses Skype to keep in contact with his girlfriend in America but whenever he is speaking to her the signal from the Billion 7800N router keeps dropping, it is very stable while using it for general browsing and downloading, any ideas as to why this is happening and if we can fix it?

ashleycardwell94 17:12 PM 05 Dec 10

i would advise, being a skype user myself, use an ethernet cable or be very close to the router. Packet loss is a problem. Look for Pnp in your router. it will give you priority to other devices for internet speeds

jtay78 14:39 PM 06 Dec 10

i use skype all the time to talk to my Mom in Brasil and dad in Auz with Wifi and i have no major probs to be honest! try to change the channel on the router settings for the Wifi IE channel 8 to 9, but only do this if you know what you are doing. seems very strange to get a packet drop all the time.

make sure your not downloading anything.

Hope this helps

Rgds

James

Bike-it 21:53 PM 06 Dec 10

Ashley it does not matter weather i use a cable or not it still drops.
jtay78 i have tried all the channels on my current and last router and it made no difference, as for downloading i don't download things.

Thanks to you both for your answers.

dms_05 09:10 AM 11 Dec 10

I find it depends upon the computer hardware. If I use a laptop with Core2Duo processor then all is fine. If I use a Netbook with Atom processor I have problems similar to the ones you describe. Skype then diagnoses the problem as under powered computer. In both cases I have a built in video cam and built in mic/speakers. My internet connection is running at just under 18 Mbps so that isn't the problem!

bryaneipstein 06:57 AM 13 Dec 10

The only time I had problem with my Skype is when my phone line didn't have a DSL filter. Seems to me that the phone interference affects the speed of the connection.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay