Wireless Signal Unstable

galca002 08:53 20 Oct 06

Hello! I have been having problems recently with my laptop wirelessly accessing the internet. For some reason when I'm at school, my laptop can't stay connected with the wireless network at my school (the wireless network at UC Riverside). It simply disconnects and says that the connected "is limited or has no connectivity" and after about a minute or two, it'll connect and I'll have internet access for 10 seconds before it does it again. I've also noticed that when it is connected, the signal strength meter constantly goes up and down. This problem frustrates me since I see other students with their laptops online without any problems so I've come to believe that it's certainly having to do with my laptop. I run Windows XP, and have a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN adapter. I've tried manually reinstalling my drivers, uninstalling the device, reinstalling it, and using HP's driver reinstallation program that came with my laptop. oh! it's an HP Pavilion dv2171cl. Thanks for any help you can provide!
-Jenn

Danoh 20:30 21 Oct 06

I guess you must have tried moving to a different spot to get better wireless reception.

In case it is software based, I would look at your wireless configuration.
a) Check if your laptop can switch between 802.11b, g, or both. Is it can, select 802.11g only, assuming the wireless network is transmitting on g alone, or both b and g.
b) Check that you have the minimum of "preferred wireless networks".

If you can't do the above or it does not improve matters, far from ideal but you could consider adding a separate wireless USB adapter which might be able to pick up the wireless transmissions better.
As it's so very specific to the location and environment, try and see if you can borrow one rather then buy and find it does not improve things anyway.

Hope those have been a tiny bit of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…