Wireless setup - 2nd computer

toga 23:15 27 May 06

Hello,

I have recently purchased a wireless ethernet router (actiontec). I managed to connect my first computer without any problems, via an ethernet cable.

This works fine, however, I have a Acer Travelmate that has a wireless connection (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200). When I try to connect the Acer I cannot connect to the internet (in network connections the wireless connection shows as connected).

I have followed the instructions and prompts of the Actiontec installation software. However, I recieve a message stating that the gateway cannot be seen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

splatter 23:38 27 May 06

Have you checked your firewall settings on the laptop?

mgmcc 08:03 28 May 06

<<< in network connections the wireless connection shows as connected >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

ade.h 22:11 30 May 06

Toga - that you cannot see the gateway is likely to be because you have not setup new protocols in your client firewall, but please respond so that we can help you further.

Mo1982 13:30 31 May 06

I know this may sound really amateuristic but once connected have you tried going to Internet options --> Connections tab --> and then selected the button "Never dial a connection"?

toga 21:39 31 May 06

Hello all,

Sorry about not replying. The leptop is at my mothers at the moment.

When I logon to the laptop, it picks up the network, I can then select and logon using my WPA PSK Key. I am informed that I am connected with excellent strength.

I have tried to connect while the firewall on the laptop is disabled and with "Never dial a connection" to no avail.

I have no problem getting connected with my main machine (via ethernet) and I have tried connecting the laptop using the USB option. The software from actiontec stops and asks me to run the software that came with the wireless adaptor. The wireless adaptor is the standard one with the laptop and I have installed drivers for it but no other software. Should there be an installation CD from my ISP?

I have contacted my ISP, who tell me to contact the router manufacturer. I am currently awaiting a reply from then.

Many thanks.

ade.h 22:12 31 May 06

If you have exhausted all other possibilities, then I think it likely that the internet connection is not being delivered over the wireless signal.
Something that I have only experienced when, having only switched on my router, I impatiently boot up my laptop (which, of course, will automatically connect at log in) *before* the router has had time to establish the ADSL line and connect to my ISP, a process which takes a minute or so for any modem when it is booted up. I avoid doing this now, and always wait a few minutes.
I do not expect this to be your explanation though; I just thought I'd mention it as it's a common cause of a wireless link without internet access.

toga 22:31 31 May 06

ade.h

I think the problem may be with me setting the WPA encryption too soon, maybe I should have waited until I have connected fully first. I am a novis at this at this but I don't understand why there is no icon for my ISP in the network connections, on the laptop.

ade.h 22:50 31 May 06

"I don't understand why there is no icon for my ISP in the network connections, on the laptop."

There won't be. You will see a wireless connection, an Ethernet LAC and a reference to Firewire. In a routed network, none of the clients know where or who their internet connections come from; they only see that it is delivered into the LAN. The clients do not even know for sure that there is a router present; just that there is a gateway of some kind.

Regarding WPA; it is generally considered risky practice to enable security before a wireless link has been proven to be reliable and correctly configured.

toga 21:07 01 Jun 06

ade.h

My appologies for this but what is an Ethernet LAC and a reference to Firewire. What would I see?

ade.h 21:20 01 Jun 06

click here Nearly all PCs have Firewire (IEEE number 1394) and it is a networkable connection device, although it is very rarely used in this capacity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…