Wireless set-up problems

Rob Hughes 10:26 09 Nov 09

I know this has probably been discussed in-depth before, but rather than search through loads of pages I thought it would be better to just ask about my specific problem, in the hope that someone might be able to help!

Basically, my grandparents have just bought a laptop and I’m trying to set up wireless for them. They have an old computer upstairs with a modem / router connected, but they want to be able to use the internet downstairs. They way I have my own wireless set up is with the router upstairs, which I have to go and turn on every time I want to use the wireless. As they don’t want to keep going up and downstairs, I had the idea to put their modem / router downstairs instead. This presumably means they won’t be able to use the internet upstairs, but they don’t really need to.

So, I connected the modem / router to the phone point (via a splitter), and then to the laptop (with a yellow ethernet cable). I set up a Local Area Network and was able to access the internet straight away, so there’s no problem with the connection. To enable the internet to be accessed wirelessly, I assumed the next step was to add the router to the network / laptop, but when I tried to ‘add a device’, it could not detect it. I left it searching for about 2/3 minutes, assuming that would be enough for the laptop to pick it up.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here? Do I need to connect the modem / router to the laptop in a different way (for example, with an ethernet cable which has a USB connection at one end)? Or do I need to somehow install the router on the laptop, perhaps using a CD? The strange thing is, the modem doesn’t show as a device on the laptop, even when the internet is on and working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

bovthedog 10:57 09 Nov 09

I have had a similar problem (posted earlier) so it might be case of the blind leading the blind. But have you set up the laptop with the same SSID and security option as your router. This enabled connection to my router but I still can't access the internet. If you crack it, post back.

Jollyjohn 10:59 09 Nov 09

Details of the router would help - it is a wireless router isnt it?

Aloso double check the wireless adapter is switched on on the laptop - either a switch on the case or a fey combnaation FN+F?

Rob Hughes 11:57 09 Nov 09

Can't remember the make of the router, but it's a wireless router and modem in one box. I made sure that the wireless is enabled on the laptop.

I've read some things about configuring the router and changing its settings, but at the moment I can't even get the laptop to recognise that the router is connected to it, so I don't know how to view / change the router's settings.

Jollyjohn 12:22 09 Nov 09

With the laptop connected by ethernet cable go START RUN CMD
in the DOS box type ipconfig /all
look for default gateway - 192.168.?.?

write this down.

open a web page and type the 192.168.?.? in the address bar. This should take you to the router home page - it may ask for a user name and password try admin,and admin or admin and password

once here check wireless settings - broadcast ssid enanbled - note the ssid
initially try with no security then come back and add a passkey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos