Wireless set-up problem

DJ.01 11:45 14 Feb 08

Im not very good with computers but getting there bit by bit :) Im trying to set up my girlfriends computer to a wireless router, which is DSL. From my understanding I plug in the two ethernets cables via modem and router and type in the isp address in the search bar and follow the wizard till its installed.. However when my girlfriends brother first set her pc up the origional ethernet cable was faulty and he set it up with a usb instead somehow, but if I change the usb for the ethernet cable it doesnt detect the connection, what am I doing wrong?

BryanR 12:52 14 Feb 08

1. Connect DSL Modem to Wireless Router with Ethernet cable.
2. Connect Wireless Router to PC with second ethernet cable.
3. Type 192.168.0.1 (or whatever address is provided in the manual for your wireless router) into the 'address' bar on your browser (not the 'search' bar).
4. Log in to your wireless router using username and password as provided in the wireless router manual.

If this doesn't appear to work, i would suggest you switch off all three, then switch them back on in the following order: 1 - DSL modem. Wait 20 seconds. 2 - Wireless router. Wait for the lights to all come on and then they'll settle down. 3 - Switch your PC back on.
Then try to access your Wireless Router via the 192.168.0.1 address.

Good luck!
Bryan

DJ.01 13:11 14 Feb 08

Still not sure why internet works with usb from modem and not ethernet cable though.. Unless theres some kind of setting I need to change? Id have thought it would detect it automaically though..

woodchip 13:57 14 Feb 08

Some modems are like that, I cannot for the life of me understand TalkTalk's Free Modem is a USB and Ethernet but it says not to use USB.

PS it will work with either

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…