Wireless set up enquiries

stu1162 10:03 15 Dec 05

When is it best to set up the encryption etc on my wireless router, is it before i run the software for the wireless card on my laptop or after.Would anyone get to see what i am entering as my passwords?
Also what is mac filtering?, do you have to enable both WEP and WPA or just one, and can you rely on the firewall in the router or shall i install zonealarm as i see that there is already a firewall loaded in XP.
Can i enter the specific information by just logging into the router or is it best running the set up wizard cd i got with my netgear router?
If at a later stage i move my modem & router to a different part of the room do i have to set them up again or is it just a case of turning them back on?

Taff™ 10:19 15 Dec 05

Get everything up and running before you set up encryption. The chances of anyone hacking into your system during set up is very remote.

WPA is more secure than WEP & you can only use one type of encryption. Enable the firewall in the router - The windows one is adequate on it`s own but only protects you one way, The router firewall protects incoming and outgoing (I think)

Try the setup wizard first. You can always alter setting afterwards. If you move the router you just switch it back on and the settings will still be there.

mgmcc 10:36 15 Dec 05

<<< Also what is mac filtering? >>>

All network adapters have a MAC address (Media Access Control address) and wireless routers usually have the facility to filter MAC addresses, so that only those Wireless Adapters whose MAC address has been entered into the settings can connect to the router.

To find the MAC address of your Wireless Adapter, run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window in the PC. In the details for your network adapters, you will see a "Physical Address", twelve hexadecimal characters in six groups of two, that is the MAC address.

<<< can you rely on the firewall in the router or shall i install zonealarm as i see that there is already a firewall loaded in XP. >>>

The router is a very effective hardware firewall to protect you from malicious traffic from the internet. However, like Windows' own firewall, it doesn't control outbound internet traffic, so I would recommend the use of a third-party software firewall, such as Zone Alarm, as well.

<<< If at a later stage i move my modem & router to a different part of the room do i have to set them up again or is it just a case of turning them back on? >>>

Once configured, the settings should be retained if you need to move the router.

Taff™ 10:40 15 Dec 05

mgmcc - Thanks for that correction. Didn`t realise that the router firewall works one way as well. Looks like I`d better get Zone Alarm too!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…