wireless security set up

IPA 16:18 06 Jan 06

I have just connected my pc to my laptop with D link-904. I used the setup disc supplied and it all works ok.The only thing that concerns me is security. At the moment it is set on WEP-128bits. Should i set it to WPA and if so do i have to alter any settings in the two pc's or is setting a string on d-link screen all that i have to do.

mgmcc 16:48 06 Jan 06

If you change the encryption setup in the router, you will need to "Connect" again to the wireless network with the software in the PCs and enter the new WPA encryption key when prompted.

IPA 16:58 06 Jan 06

Thanks , I will give it a go.I thought I would use the PSK string ? would this be secure?

mgmcc 19:22 06 Jan 06

Yes, that should be secure. I've only ever used WEP because the PCMCIA card in my laptop doesn't support WPA. Your router may also support MAC address filtering for additional security. Only those adapters whose MAC address has been entered in the settings can access the router.

IPA 20:47 06 Jan 06

I had better go and read the instructions again to see what it will do, then give it a try. Hopefully my wife will let me have the laptop back sometime soon!

IPA 21:32 07 Jan 06

It looks as though my laptop supports WPA but the main pc doesn't.So I think the best solution will be to buy a new network card ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5