Wireless security issues

emma dimwit 11:38 01 Jan 08

i recently set up my toshiba laptop to run wirelessly on wep i had to change the router from wpa to wep which i managed with help of sky techs and everything runs fine until i bought my daughter new laptop for xmas, herein lies problem my new laptop device only runs on wpa so changed router back, now my toshiba won,t work???? HOW DO I CHANGE MY TOSHIBA (not the router)TO RUN ON WPA NOT WEP??? Also when sky was helping me with the wifi they managed to delete my LAN so I cannot connect through ethernet???? Please note I am a complete novice and need help in plain terms THANKYOU

ambra4 12:09 01 Jan 08

Go into laptop and delete the profile that you fist set up on the Toshiba, reconnect using the new WPA code

When you say, “delete my LAN” is it the LAN card setting or the LAN card driver

If Lan card setting check this posting

click here

If Lan card driver go to Toshiba web site and download the LAN card driver for your model laptop

click here

irishrapter 16:11 01 Jan 08

Its a good thing that your new laptop only runs with WPA as WEP is no good, its too easy to break WEP encryption.

As ambra4 says, just delete the current connection, scan for new networks in which you should see your own network again, connect and enter the WPA key.

By the way, the WPA should be of at least 20 random characters and not something found in any dictionary.

emma dimwit 16:55 01 Jan 08

I REALLY AM A DIMWIT I MANAGED TO FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS FOR LAN AND I THINK IT WAS THERE WITHOUT YELLOW QUESTION MARK SO I CAME BACK TO YOUR FIRST INSTRUCTION BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DELETE A PROFILE OFF MY TOSHIBA OR EVEN WHAT A PROFILE IS THE ONLY THING I KNOW HOW TO DO IS GO TO ISP ADDRESS AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL AND WEP TO WPA ON THE SKY ROUTER WHICH ISWHAT SKY TALKED ME THROUGH COS APPARENTLY ITS A COMMON PROBLEM THAT SOME LAPTOPS RUN ON WEP WHEN THEY (SKY)USE WPA SO OBVIOUSLY THE NEW LAPTOP RUNS ON WPA , HENCE I CHANGED IT BACK NOW TOSHIBE WON,T WORK, I THINK I,M GONNA LAUNCH IT OUT OF HIGH WINDOW SAVE YOU ALL THE HASSLE OF HELPING ME! I COULD FORGO THE WIRELESS THING IF I COULD GET LAN WORKING BUT AM TO STUPID TO FOLLOW ORIGINAL ADVICE!!!!!!!! ANY HELP APPRECIATE THANKS AGAIN

irishrapter 17:56 01 Jan 08

What software does your laptop use to connect to the router?

Does it use its own software or does it use windows configuration software?

click here for a picture of what windows software looks like. (Its called "WZC" - "Windows Zero Configuration")

Ashrich 20:33 01 Jan 08

Emma , can we have the model of your Toshiba laptop please , that way we can find out what type of wireless and software it has on it . Toshiba usually use something called Config Free , your profile will probably be in there , but still let us have the model number so we both know what is being talked about .

Ashley

emma dimwit 20:34 02 Jan 08

thanks everybody i'm sure i will be back !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…