wireless security issue

groberts 15:33 19 Nov 06

NETGEAR DG834PN rangemax router\modem
NETGEAR WPN111 usb adapter

Hello

I have not been able to set-up WPA encryption security using the netgear software on my wireless network.
I am only able to set-up WPA encryption if I do it via windows, this is great!

I just have a minor issue -

On my wireless networks tab on my windows wireless network connection, my router(SSID) is listed in the preferred networks box and the 'use windows to configure my wireless network settings' is checked.
In this condition my wireless connection over WPA works fine.

But everytime I reboot my pc, 'use windows to configure my wireless network settings' is unchecked and hence the usb adapter is unable to connect over WPA to my router.
I have to manually check this box to connect to my router.

Does anyone know how to get this to automatically connect on logon?

thanks

mgmcc 23:02 19 Nov 06

I suspect your problem is that you have the third-party software supplied with the wireless adapter installed. Each time you reboot, this takes back control of the wireless netwoking and you then have to retick the box to use Windows' software.

Uninstall the adapter's software if you can without losing the basic drivers. If necessary, reinstall only the drivers.

groberts 13:37 20 Nov 06

thanks for your reply.

slight issue, the uninstall process fails. do you know whether the netgear can be disabled or an effective way of removing the software manually?

cheers

gr

mgmcc 20:01 21 Nov 06

Have a look in the Startup tab of "MSCONFIG" and see if there is an entry relating to the wireless software in there that you can disable.

Strawballs 22:18 21 Nov 06

You should be able to remove it via add remove in control panel and leave it to windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009