wireless security - am I missing something?

Kate B 17:00 14 Jan 05

Forgive me if this seems dim but pondering wireless security isn't the key thing to enable MAC filtering and to hide the SSID, particularly as WEP seems laughably easy to crack and WPA isn't widely enough supported?

I would have thought that if you restrict the machines able to connect to the network and hide it then the more fiddly stuff is redundant ...

or am I being dense?

webber_man 00:06 18 Feb 05

While fiddling with the security settings on my Netgear DG834G i was thinking the same thing! Basically i think the more measures you use the better off you are.

TomJerry 00:44 18 Feb 05

is suffcient unless your next doors really hate you and they know or pay for a IT guru to get you

georgemac © 07:13 18 Feb 05

laughably easy to crack? This is all I am using with a dg834g, and I have set up 2 wireless networks for friends, again both using wep only.

Do I really need to go further than wep?

Don't think there are many IT guru's, bad neighbours or master criminals around where we live.

FelixTCat 08:12 18 Feb 05

No security measure is perfect. None of them will stop a determined hacker from entering your system. None of them will stop a detrmined hacker sniffing your packets and getting your details.

All these processes make it harder for an amateur, so hopefully the hacker will move on and try his luck elsewhere. In this respect, locks on doors and windows deter burglars, they don't totally prevent burglary.

WEP adds to the protection of the network for a small drop in performance. It doesn't affect the speed of web browsing or email and the effect on download speed is probably not measurable. It would only have a measurable effect on file transer speed.

Only you can judge whether the reduction in speed outweighs the increase in security.

Whilst WEP s crackable, it is beyond most amateur hackers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…