Wireless security

Ferrari-Fan 17:33 23 Feb 06

I am about to connect my NTL broadband through a Belkin F5D7230 wireless router and USB adaptor, but am worried about what I hear about security of wireless set ups.

I'm told that there are various levels of security which prevent increasing levels of protection from prying eyes, but maybe not from the most educated of people wishing to access someone elses system. Is this true?

I also thought that securing a system was to prevent someone from outside from using my internet connection, but I have been told that people can actually access anything on the computer, including personal files and details through to tracing your actions and bank details. Is this also true?

ade.h 17:42 23 Feb 06

Please note my posts in your other thread click here

Chris-238213 21:34 23 Feb 06

No wireless network is ever going to be 100% secure however provided you take some measures to protect it you should be OK. There are a number of things you can do:

1. Don't broadcast your SSID
2. Limit access to your router by MAC address (in your case this means restricting access to only the MAC addrsss of your USB adapter)
3. Set up some form of encryption

I have a wireless network and use all the above (128 bit WEP key) and haven't had any problems. Whilst this is no guarantee of security someone would have to be pretty determined to hack in and if you do the above there will be easier targets.

I'm not sure about ability to look in your files etc but it's my understanding that only files and folders which have been shared are visible on the network.

ade.h 21:43 23 Feb 06

"....it's my understanding that only files and folders which have been shared are visible on the network."

It is in fact a fairly straightforward task to gain full and complete access in a few moments with a modicum of knowledge, but as I stated in FerrariFan's other thread, this is not the primary concern of wardriver activity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…