Wireless Security

Anniemol 20:05 15 Jun 05

I wanted to access my NTL Broadband to several PC's and managed to do this succesfully! I have a wireless router to main main desktop PC (which is upstairs) and have connected a second PC (which is downstairs) and a laptop PC (anywhere!).....but have come across a problem as far as the securtiy is concerned with 'others' being able connect!
My friend came to stay and as he's a businessman he used his laptop to check on business stuff...he was going to use the phone line but announced with a broad smile on his face that he didn't need to as he had connected to the Internet using my Broadband via his wireless connection. He advised me to password protect or something similar otherwise anyone in the local area could do the same. Can someone advise me on how to do this? I don't mind my friend using the connection when he visit's, is there some way of being flexable with the set-up?
All the PC's run on Windows XP (Home or Pro), the router is an Actiontec.

johnnyrocker 20:08 15 Jun 05

normally during set up one configures the router security with a wep key suggest you click here and click here

woodchip 20:17 15 Jun 05

Depends what router you got, but it will have Security setup in it when you go to the setup Page in browser. The same settings have to be in all computers,. Set the Router up first as you now can connect with all comps, if you have problems connecting just go back to the beginning I have my router set to 128 bit WEP

Taff36 22:25 15 Jun 05

It`s probably in your manual but click here and find the exact router/modem. Then follow the links and as woodchip says read up on WEP ot WPA (better) security. Post your router model back if you have any problems and we`ll get back to you!

woodchip 23:09 15 Jun 05

Just changed mine to WPA. You have to switch router of and computer after and the restart with new settings for it to work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…