wireless router and virgin

mzonas 04:21 15 Feb 09

Hi. I just bought wireless modem. I have virgin broadband. It is cable. I plugged in the new wireless modem as stated in the instructions. I can use internet and everything is okay. Laptop can connect to my computer but cannot share internet.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

User-1229748 04:57 15 Feb 09

have you got network sharing on?

mgmcc 09:42 15 Feb 09

>>> Laptop can connect to my computer but cannot share internet.

Not sure from your posting how you've got things set up but, with a Wireless Router, all computers connect directly to the Router for their internet access. Local Network traffic for File & Printer Sharing is also via the Router and *NOT* a direct PC-to-PC connection.

I assume it is actually a wireless *ROUTER* that you have and not a "Wireless Access Point" plugged into the Cable Modem which will only allow the connection of a single computer?

mzonas 13:42 15 Feb 09

My router is connecter to wireless router. Then, the wireless router is connected to computer, internet cable is connected to router. I can use internet normally but when I connect to my wireless router with laptop, I cannot use internet with laptop. That's the problem.

mgmcc 14:34 15 Feb 09

>>> My router is connecter to wireless router.

Do you have *TWO* Routers in your setup?

mzonas 15:05 15 Feb 09

yes I have two routers. One is wireless and the other one is not wireless.

mgmcc 16:02 15 Feb 09

...so why don't you disconnect the "not wireless" one completely and use only the "wireless" one?

Provided they are both "Cable/DSL" routers and provided they operate in different subnets (IP address ranges), you can use both, but doing so is probably complicating things unnecessarily. I don't see what you are actually achieving by having the two routers in your setup.

mzonas 18:58 15 Feb 09

I have white cable plugged in "not wireless" router because the "wireless router" has not such an input ...

mgmcc 20:32 15 Feb 09

>>> I have white cable plugged in "not wireless"
>>> router because the "wireless router" has not
>>> such an input ...

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

If you cannot explain your setup in a way that others can follow, then it is impossible to try to help.

Both of your routers should be "Cable/DSL" routers with four LAN ports and one WAN port, all of which are RJ45 ports to accept standard ethernet cables. Cable Modems support both USB and Ethernet connections and you should be connecting the Router to the Modem's Ethernet port.

Devil Fish 22:21 15 Feb 09

the white cable you refer sounds like your cable connection, This connects to your modem.
You then connect the modem to the router with the grey cable supplied with your modem. Then you should have a cable supplied with the router that you plug into one of the 4 numbered ports at the back of your router and to your pc. Once that is done you can then go ahead and set up your router for wireless connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5