wireless router, usb dsl model desktop and laptop

jim789 18:34 13 Apr 05

I have a d-link wireless router, an athlon based desktop pc and a panasonic toughbook pII366 with 64mb ram which whilst old still runs well and a wireless pcmcia card. I have tried win 98, 98se, me and xp on the laptop and whichever I use (xp runs a bit slow but does the job all the same) I cannot get a functional workgroup running. The router is connected to the desktop pc by ethernet cable and the desktop pc also has the internet connection via a speedtouch usb dsl modem. To plug the adsl directly into the router I would need an ethernet based adsl standalone modem but don't have one. I can network it all together with both pc's running win xp, the laptop connecting to the router via a wireless pcmcia card (also d-link) and I can see both computers and access their shares but I cannot get the laptop to see the internet although I have setup ics on the desktop and temporarily turned off all firewalls, I have used xp's home networking wizard and used the wizard to set things up on the laptop but it just refuses to see the net. If they were connected by a crossover cable this wouldn't be a problem so I think the problem is probably something to do with the router. I have looked through the routers settings and although it says it has a built in firewall cannot find any options to configure it or disable it. Am i right in thinking that all internet traffic is getting stopped by the firewall? the default gateway is set as the ip address of the router, can this be the problem as the gateway is actually the desktop pc and how can I change it?

thanks in advance

RealDopey 00:40 14 Apr 05

THe gateway is your desktop PC, therefore you need to make sure the desktop has a fixed IP Address. This fixed IP should then be entered as the default gateway on your laptop. Also remember that you need a firewall on the desktop PC, it is not being protected by the firewall on the router.

To change the IP address:

Click "Start"

Click "Control Panel"

Click "Network Connections""

Right click your network card and click on properties.

Now scroll down until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" And highlight it.

Now click the properties button and tick the

RealDopey 00:45 14 Apr 05

Sorry posted to soon...

Now click the properties button and tick "Use the following IP address"

Probably best to make it "192.168.0.10" and the subnet mask just below it as "255.255.255.0"

Now just click okay or save. Depending on the O/system you may have to restart the pc for the changes to take effect.

jim789 02:50 14 Apr 05

it's ok I found out I could see the net the problem was with dns, but I sorted that by manually entering the dns server as the desktops lan ip address. A strange problem had occured now though, the laptop will freeze and crash whilst accessing the network, if the wireless card is unplugged it then works fine, i tried changing channels, checked for conflicts and found none, and uninstalled then reinstalled both the pcmcia drivers and the wireless cards drivers but stil the problem occurs, didn't seem to happen before I was able to connect to the internet though...

jim789 17:06 15 Apr 05

I have solved the above problems and the solution was easier than I tought! I got rid of microsoft windows alltogether and installed ubuntu linux instead, wow now that's amazing, Linux detected and configured everything I didn't need any drivers or to configure anything except to tell linux what Ip address to use (coz I use static addresses instead of dhcp) and what ip to use for the default gateway and that was it. Linux has come a really long way by the looks of things and ubuntu is outstanding, I'd reccommend anyone to give it a try (best thing is it's all totally and legally free)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…