Wireless Router - Two Seperate Networks Possible?

Taff™ 12:06 04 May 06

I have just set up a wireless router modem in a shared office facility. There are two businesses sharing this router - Is it possible to set up two seperate networks so that each business can see only their computers and share resources?

mgmcc 13:43 04 May 06

Difficult because all of the computers serviced by the single router will have to be in the same subnet, therefore if file & printer sharing is enabled, they will communicate freely.

It could be done with a firewall - give each business a range of fixed IP addresses for its computers and configure the firewall's "trusted" area only to allow access to that IP address range. Anyone familiar with firewalls could over-ride that in 30 seconds!

An alternative solution would be to connect two more routers, each operating in a different subnet, to the existing router so that, for example, the main router operates in the 192.168.0.x subnet, one business connects to a "sub-router" operating in the 192.168.1.x subnet and the second business uses the 192.168.2.x subnet. The Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 will prevent the individual subnets from communicating.

Actually, you would only need two routers, because one business can work directly with the main router and the second business with the "sub-router". Different subnets would still keep them apart.

This would be easier with a wired network, because they couldn't connect to the wrong network. With "wireless" and a bit of collusion between staff, they could connect to the wrong wireless network. The encryption keys would need to be kept under wraps!

...if that makes sense.

Taff™ 14:48 04 May 06

Spot On Reply. Exactly what I needed to know. The reality is that these are "friendly businesses" anyway and there are only 5 computers between them. There`s probably no need for me to be cautious but at least I can now explain to the principals what`s involved if they do want to share files and folders and they are concerned about security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…