Wireless Router Setup

CluelessFool 18:13 16 Nov 05

I have just purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router - 2.4Ghz-802.11g. I am having trouble connecting it up, and I am not sure it is even possible with the modem I have.

I am currently sporting a BT Voyager 105 DSL modem, and I am on AOL Broadband (though not for long...)

The problem seems to be connecting the router to the PC, and moreso connecting the Modem to the Router.The modem is a USB modem, and only has a USB slot and the phone line slot (the more square-ended one, not the rectangular one).

The router has a lot of rectangular ports, which hold the same shape as a telephone socket.

My computer can take a USB cable, and one of those "square-ended" phone lines, but not the "rectangular" one.

Is my modem just not compatible? Am I doing something wrong? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I am switching to Wanadoo Broadband very soon. If this makes any difference please let me know.

Forum Editor 18:28 16 Nov 05

doesn't connect to a modem - you connect it directly to your ADSL phone line using a telephone cable which has a square line plug at one end (the router) and a rectangular one at the other (the telephone wall socket or ADSL microfilter).

The Ethernet porst at the back of the router are for wired network connections - should you wish to run a mixed wired/wireless network. One of those ports is used to connect the router to your PC for configuration purposes - you need to enter your ISP login details into the router's firmware, so it can establish the connection automatically, each time it's turned on. Once the intial configuration has been doen you may disconnect the lead that connects router and computer - provided the computer has a wireless network card installed of course.

Forum Editor 18:37 16 Nov 05

I've just re-read your initial post, and realised that you have probably acquired a Belkin model F5D7231uk4 router - which doesn't have a built-in modem.

That means that you will have to connect a modem to it, but not your USB model. The router requires an ethernet modem.

If at all possible I recommend that you return the router and exchange it for a model that has an ADSL modem built in. If you want to stay with Belkin equipment get a model F5D7632UK4.

CluelessFool 18:50 16 Nov 05

Thankyou :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…