Wireless Router Question

Ridleyrider 12:40 14 Aug 08

This is my current set up

ADSL modem with one ethernet port
Ethernet cable connected from ADSL to a wireless router
Office laptop connected wirelessly to the wireless router with a secure connection
Home laptop connected to the wireless router via an ethernet cable

The wireless router was supplied by the office and will only work with the office computer. They will not allow access for the home laptop to connect to the wireless router, which is why it is connected via an ethernet cable.

I would like the option to go wireless with the home laptop but I assume I will need a seperate wireless router to do that?

If I do, how is that going to work with the ADSL modem that only has one ethernet port, as surely I will need 2 ports;

1 ethernet cable to the office wireless router
1 ethernet cable to the other wireless router

Can I get an adapter for the ADSL modem that splits the one ethernet port into 2, so I can run 2 ethernet cables and 2 wireless routers?

Ditch999 14:18 14 Aug 08

Are you a very restricted User on the work laptop?

Can you access any wireless network on work laptop? If you can, then you only need one wireless router. As long as you know the security protocols and passwords you can connect to a router from any wireless device. Just remove the office router you have altogether and use the new one.

mgmcc 15:14 14 Aug 08

<<<< Can I get an adapter for the ADSL modem that splits the one ethernet port into 2, so I can run 2 ethernet cables and 2 wireless routers?>>>>

No. Because an ISP normally only allocates one IP address, you can only connect a single computer (or router) to the modem. If you connect two devices, only the first will get an IP address and get online.

It is a router's function to provide multiple internet connections. It gets the single IP address allocated by the ISP and in turn allocates IP addresses to the computers connected to it, using one of the IP address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks. Most commonly, 192.168.x.x addresses are used. The router then *ROUTES* internet traffic to the appropriate IP address in the LAN.

What you could do is to plug your own "Cable/DSL" router into a LAN port in the work router and connect your own laptop wirelessly to that. There are a couple of points - (a) the two routers would have to be in separate subnets, i.e. the third octet (number) in their IP addresses would have to be different. For example, Router1 could be 192.168.0.1 and Router2 192.168.1.1 but this would also mean that, if the two computers are connected to routers in different subnets, they couldn't communicate directly for File & Printer sharing.

fatcobraeb 21:01 17 Jan 09

Hi! i will be extremely grateful if any solutions can be provided me please.
I have a Toshba Tecra A9 series and Sony VAIO laptop.I subscribe to SKY broadband. Initially sky gave me a white NETGEAR ROUTER.I've had it changed to a dark grey GATEWAY router. As it was faulty. I've set it up but cannot see any wireless available and cannot connect as SKY's preferred protocol is WPA-PSK which i don't have on both laptops. The only way i can go online is to connect the ethernet cable for a couple of minutes, unplug it and stay connected wirelessly.

I will be grateful to know how best to resolve this i.e get WPA-PSK protocol on my laptops. I've spoken to sky who directed me to speak to TOSHIBA to solve it.

Please help me
Thanks

Technotiger 21:07 17 Jan 09

You will get more response if you start your own Thread - this thread is a very old one, not used since early August last year!

Also you should enter your thread into the Networking Forum, you can see it on the left of this page.

Sorry I can't help you personally - Good luck!

MAJ 21:07 17 Jan 09

Start your own thread, don't hijack someone elses thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…