wireless router query

morris948 15:41 13 Nov 07

Hi All.
I am considering going wireless with the internet, but i need some advice about how things connect up.
First: can i connect the computer wirelessly by using a USB dongle?, this may seem a strange question, but i have the PC upstairs in a bedroom and the main phone line is downstairs, i want to keep the wireless router as close to the main phone socket to avoid signal loss and use a USB dongle in the PC to recieve the ADSL signal, would this work? i cannot get an ethernet cable connection from the PC to the router downstairs.

Second: my daughters laptop can connect wirelessly to the router via its built in wireless LAN, anywhere in the house.
Is this feasable?

BurrWalnut 15:48 13 Nov 07

Yes to both but to do the initial set up of the router use an Ethernet cable on one of the machines.

recap 15:50 13 Nov 07

Basically the answer to your questions is yes. Once you have set-up your wireless network even your pc could be moved to another room and pick up the connection. click here for further details.

morris948 16:05 13 Nov 07

Yes to both but to do the initial set up of the router use an Ethernet cable on one of the machines.

Is it absolutely required to have an ethernet cable connection? would it work with this adapter connected click here#

morris948 18:36 13 Nov 07

I noticed in recaps link that there is a modem connected between the internet and the router, but if the router has a built in modem then is this diagram correct? or do you need a separate modem.

Sorry to be obtuse, i just need exact details to be sure that the setup i am going to use will work.

Ashrich 22:25 13 Nov 07

Get a router with an inbuilt ADSL modem , and use the laptop to set it up , just connect the supplied ethernet cable to the laptop , and the other end to port 1 , you can then disconnect the laptop and reconnect wirelessly , then set up the USB adapter on the upstairs PC .
Ashley

Strawballs 22:30 13 Nov 07

recaps link is for setting up cable router as Ashrich says get a combined modem/router.

click here any one of these will do.

morris948 10:35 17 Nov 07

I got a netgear rangemax router, very easy to setup and is working great.
Thanks for all you help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5