Wireless router problems

moontree 11:01 15 Mar 08

I've had the same (or similar) problem with three wireless routers and two broadband providers, and it happens on both my computers. The problem is that periodically the computer says it's connected to the network and we should have internet access, but we can't load any pages. Usually when this happens, one of the lights on the router (marked "internet" on the LinkSYS router) either goes out or is flickering.

With our first LinkSYS router, this problem was only resolved by reconfiguring the router settings every time. A friend who works in IT said the router was faulty, so we exchanged it for another of the same make and model. We continued to have the same problem, but this time it could usually be resolved by either disconnecting and reconnecting to the network, or restarting the router, or it would resolve itself in an hour or so. This would happen at least once a day, but we just put up with it. We also changed broadband providers during this time but that didn't make a difference.

Last week the same thing happened except we could not resolve it, and it didn't sort itself out. We phoned our broadband provider who told us what all the settings on the router should be, and assured us the problem wasn't at their end. We still couldn't connect to the internet, so we just spent £80 on a Netgear router. We've been able to connect to the internet sporadically with that, but we're still having the same problem, except that restartin the router etc doesn't solve it. It happens several times a day and we just have to wait - usually about half an hour - for it to sort itself out.

Can anyone help?

setecio 15:28 15 Mar 08

You need to rule out your internal wiring by finding the BT mastersocket, unscrewing the faceplate and connecting the adsl filter & router to the test socket behind the faceplate. If it no longer occurs, the problem is somewhere inside the house wiring/telephones.

dms05 08:28 19 Mar 08

My first thought was 'noisey line'. Have you asked your ISP to check that for you? One other suggestion is to connect to the Internet when you know it will be busy (say 5pm) and then leave the router on. This would allow you to make a connection when the signal to noise ratio is at it's worst. If you connect when the Internet is quiet then the s/n will be better but at busy times your router can't handle the reduced s/n. In any case I'd look elsewhere before blaming the router.

Setecio suggestion is the first place to look. Then consider how you use your microfilters and is the router attached at the very first point after the incoming BT line? Do you have extensions in the house? Lot's of possible causes relating to the copper wires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5