Wireless Router problem

pj123 14:57 20 Jan 06

Just fitted a Belkin 54g wireless router to my computer and a PCI wireless adapter to my partners computer.

My end working perfectly (as you can see because I am here).

Partners computer, No go. If I hold the mouse over the Icon in the Status bar it says, "Connected to Belkin 54g. Signal strength Excellent"

When I try IE all I get is "Page cannot be displayed".

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

rmcqua 15:01 20 Jan 06

Check any firewall to make sure that "block all internet traffic" (or similar) is not enabled.

pj123 15:19 20 Jan 06

rmcqua, thanks. Will check that out. There is a dialup account active on my partners PC so I will try to connect without AVG and Zonealarm running.

mgmcc 19:11 20 Jan 06

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet access.

Strawballs 19:17 20 Jan 06

If your partners machine still has a connect by dialup you will need to run the network wizard in the control panel (not the wireless one that is for setting up encryption if you do not use the software that comes with the adapter) and that will ask you a series of questions about are you connected to internet by Lan etc and configure it for you.

woodchip 19:22 20 Jan 06

Have you put the router settings into the laptop setup Wireless Adapter software

pj123 13:10 21 Jan 06

I've tried everything mentioned above and still no joy. What I have noticed is: having tried a few times to connect when I come back to my PC and try a web site I get a window saying something like "No internet connection available etc..." and the options are "work offline" or "try again". I click on try again and I can access websites again, even though I am already logged on and have my home page showing.

I have uninstalled the PCI Wireless Adapter from my partners PC and my next door neighbour has given me a Belkin USB wireless adapter but that also give me the same results.

Feeling a bit inadequate and fed up now.

mgmcc 13:34 21 Jan 06

What IP address is the wireless adapter getting - either the PCI card or the USB dongle? Does the "problem" PC get internet access when connected to the router by ethernet cable?

pj123 13:59 21 Jan 06

mgmcc, don't have an ethernet cable long enough to try that approach. The "problem" PC is quite a distance away which is why we went for the wireless solution.

IP address? Again I don't know. All I do after installing the software for the adapter is double click on IE on the desktop, which is when I get "Page cannot be displayed".

mgmcc 14:34 21 Jan 06

<<< All I do after installing the software for the adapter is double click on IE on the desktop, which is when I get "Page cannot be displayed" >>>

It is a little bit more involved than that ;-)

You need to "Connect" to the wireless network? In other words, you have to run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet access.

pj123 14:44 21 Jan 06

mgmcc, sorry mate. Yes I did do that as per your previous post. The only option that came up was Belkin54g. I clicked on that and then "Connect". Nothing appeared to happen and the icon in the status bar didn't change at all as far as I could see, other than when I hold my mouse over it I get: "Connected to Belkin 54g. Signal strength Excellent"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant