Wireless router / printer

willyv 14:12 25 Aug 08

Im looking to replace my desktop with a laptop and will need a wireless router. I am on Virgin broadband- will i be able to buy any router and connect this to the existing modem? Also is it possible to buy a wireless connector for my printer or do i need a 'wireless' printer. Do the wireless gadgets have to be in line of site of the router as i was hoping to stow my printer in the cupboard. also the laptop will probably be used downstairs whereas the modem is currently upstairs.
thanks

mgmcc 17:00 25 Aug 08

Virgin provide both *CABLE* and *ADSL* broadband, so the type of router depends on which broadband you have.

With "Cable", you use a "Cable/DSL" router whose WAN port connects by ethernet cable to the Modem's ethernet port.

With "ADSL", you replace the existing USB Modem with a combined "Router & ADSL Modem".

To print "wirelessly", you would either install a Wireless Print Server with a USB port for the printer to connect with or, as you're to be using a wireless router anyway, you could connect a "wired" Print Server to the router. As the computers are connecting "wirelessly" to the router, you can still print "wirelessly".

Because wireless networking runs over "radio" links not, for example, Infrared you don't need a direct line of sight between components.

willyv 09:19 06 Sep 08

Erm!
I have sorted out the laptop and have order a wireless router from Virgin (as they offer reasonable tech support).
What hardware do i need to connect to my existing printer (brother dcp 115c). I assume theres a gizzmo which connect to the usb line out?

Also is there a means that i can reconnect my desktop (which doesn't have built in wireless device) to the wireless network.

Sorry if this is really dumb. Many thanks

Ikelos 09:53 06 Sep 08

you can get a wireless USB thingy for your desktop so you can connect to the net, belkin do them as does eveyone else

willyv 10:23 06 Sep 08

what is one of those called please?
also ideas for printer? many thanks

retep888 12:05 06 Sep 08

click here

Plug your printer into one of the two USB ports and plug your PC into one of the 4 LAN (switch) ports using a patch cable.Configure them accordingly then you'll be surfing wirelessly on the old PC as well as printing.

If any problem,just come back here, I'm sure one of us will give you a walk thru'.

willyv 12:50 08 Sep 08

Cheers for your patience!
ok ive ordered a virgin router.
i asume a usb bluetooth dongle be the thing to get my old desktop wireless- could one of these be connected to my printer to get that wireless too?cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…