Wireless Router and PPPoA problems

elkitos 11:39 26 Apr 06

I took a gamble and I bought a TP-Link TL-WR641G wireless router. I hooked it up to my existing ADSL modem/router (BT Voyager 210) through the WAN port BUT when I try to configure the WAN settings on the router I don't get the PPPoA option. Is there any way around this by using other options i.e. dynamic / static IP options?

P.S. I was able to eventually access the intenet (wirelessly) from my laptop by hooking the voyager to one of the LAN ports and using the router as switch (???). I also have a dreambox which I will hopefully hook up to the net via the router and a wireless ethernet bridge.

mgmcc 13:11 26 Apr 06

You don't need to configure the new router to connect via PPPoA because the connection to the ISP is already being established by the BT Voyager using this protocol. Connect the new router's WAN port by ethernet cable to the the Voyager's LAN port and it will get its IP address by DHCP from the Voyager. Just set it for a "direct connection" or "IP by DHCP", depending on the actual terminology used. It does mean, of course, that the the new router's WAN IP address will actually be an address in one of the ranges reserved for Local Area Networks - a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x subnet. It is important that both routers don't operate and allocate IP addresses in the *same* subnet, i.e. if they both operate in a 192.168.x.x subnet, the third "octet" of the IP addresses must be different for each router.

elkitos 00:00 27 Apr 06

Thanks a million!!! Dreambox and WET11 up next!!!

elkitos 00:03 27 Apr 06

Thanks a million!!! Dreambox and WET11 up next!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…