wireless router and network cable.. HELP

diddi.ash 13:11 03 Jan 06

I have just bought the wireless router and wireless usb network adapter, so does that mean that i dont connect the network cable that came with the router?
as the whole point was to have wireless in my conservatory and the cable would not reach the phone line to the desktop computer!

rmcqua 13:31 03 Jan 06

diddi.ash
You don't need the network cable that came with the router (the one with a RJ45 connector on each end). But of course you will need to connect the router to your DSL modem (or to your telephone socket, if the router has an inbuilt modem).
Not sure if this helps.

diddi.ash 13:49 03 Jan 06

Yes the router goes next to my phone socket, which is two rooms away from my computer!
But i do not have to have any leads running to my desktop?

medicine hat 13:51 03 Jan 06

There may of course be various settings you need to change on the router which are best undertaken by a pc connected to it. You may be able to access it wirelessly but this is not guaranteed. For security consider switching off SSID broadcasting and initiate MAC filtering, the MAC of the adapter will probably be printed on it.

diddi.ash 13:56 03 Jan 06

Oh why do they make things so difficult i bought the LINKSYS WAG54GS and the linksys wusb54gs, which are supposed to work together!!
Would you suggest i set my router up with the network cable supplied FIRST before i install the wireless USB network adapter?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…