Wireless router and modem router compatability

Chris-238213 22:34 12 Jan 05

I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router and Netgear media player which I use to stream mp3's from my PC to hifi which works fine. I am about to switch from a dial-up to broadband internet connection with Virginnet and bought a Trust 445A ADSL modem/router for the job. Can I connect the modem to the PC via RJ45 and connect the WGR614 into the modem/router or do I need to get a hub or swith, connect that to the PC and plug the WGR614 and the ADSL modem router into that? PC runs XP Home SP2

Can anyone advise on best way to set this up? ADSL modem router also has option of USB connection.

Thanks in advance

TomJerry 23:03 12 Jan 05

Netgear WGR614 has 4 port switch build-in already

connection,

trust link to phone line, netger link to trust, pc link to trust (via RJ45) or netgear

possible problem: different maufacurer may use different default IP address for their product, so you may need to manually reset IP address range for each product to make them talk to each other

read the instruction and follow it down to the last letter

dan11 23:31 12 Jan 05

I also have a netgear wireless media player but am using a belkin router. I have built a dedicated server that is storing 10 gigs worth of mp3's. Like you I have the feed to the computer through a straight through lan cable, This feeds the internet connection to the pc and also wirelessley through the house. The netgear media player, when setup, scanned for available networks and found the belkin with ease. This and the netgear media server merged the WiFi angle with ease. There was one sticky moment when I had to deal with my static IP address. This was overcome by configuring the router to include these addresses.

I now have full access to a huge music libary via the remote control. Yes connect it as you have discribed and it should run fine.

Oh yes. XP pro with sp2:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…